Did you know?
How the Arlington Heights Park District Enthusiastically Stewards the Environment
In honor of Earth Day on April 22, the Arlington Heights Park District has put together a short list of easy and fun ways to celebrate. We’re also sharing some of the ways the Park District makes a difference all year long that you may not know about.
We've listed a few ways below. We'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas on our Facebook page!
What the community can do:
How the Park District incorporates strategies all year ‘round:
Yes, you may not know that our Parks staff reclaims rainwater at our service centers, and recycles wood chips and processes soil in-house to re-use throughout our parks. In partnership with the Village of Arlington Heights, we support Idle Free Zones near our facilities to reduce public exposure to toxic vehicle exhaust and our Low Mow zones require little maintenance reducing fuel usage and increase storm water infiltration. Synthetic turf and ice rink liners help to lessen our impact on the environment and our employee-based EnviroGroup promotes 'thinking before inking' to eliminate unnecessary paper waste in addition to encouraging recycling.
This group of committed employees is charged with developing and implementing initiatives to step up the Park District’s environmental and conservation efforts. Just recently, the EnviroGroup held a District-wide recycling day where they collected and donated over 1,000 pounds of electronics to the local Goodwill. The EnviroGroup helps promote and encourage sustainable practices following a mission to “Help set a high standard of leadership and competency in the promotion and incorporation of sound environmental practices and lifestyles."
For events and updates, visit us on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/ahpdfan.
For comments and suggestions contact us at: Environmental@ahpd.org.
Mission: The Arlington Heights Park District enriches the community by providing quality recreation, facilities and fun.
We do this by:
- Ensuring the efficient and effective use of financial resources and Park District assets.
- Providing innovative recreational opportunities and facilities to meet the diverse programming needs of our community.
- Continuing the District's pursuit of being a community, regional, state and national leader.
- Promoting an environment of cooperation, collaboration and teamwork.
- Providing quality internal and external customer-focused service.
- Providing stewardship of our open spaces and natural resources.