Studies show that communities and individuals benefit positively from being physically active, and from exposure to nature and green space.
With work slated to begin enhancing the visitor experience at the Park District’s most visited outdoor recreation facility on March 6th, crews have already begun pre-construction work at Lake Arlington.
This project has been in the works for a couple of years, and the Park Board recently gave its approval to move forward due to favorable bid results. The project vision and goals call for the installation of a new sensory garden, new exercise stations, improved wayfinding and interpretive signage, replacement of the existing playground, installation of a new multi-generational area with game tables, and enhancement to the multi-use pathway to improve circulation for all users – wheeled and non-wheeled.
The estimated $1.4 million project will be funded, in part, with $400,000 from an Illinois Department of Natural Resource (IDNR) Open Space Land Acquisition and Development (OSLAD) Grant. The Park District’s capital improvement budget will fund the balance. This will be Lake Arlington’s first major renovation since it opened in 1995.
- ADA compliant boardwalk will connect expanded boating dock and new fishing pier
- New sensory garden will feature natural plantings and decorative fountain
New fitness and fun features:
- New playgrounds for ages 2-5 and ages 5-12
- New exercise stations area will be added
Additional site work:
- A new multi-generational area will feature a shade shelter and game tables
- Addition of passing zones along the multi-use path to help relieve congestion
- Construction begins March 6, 2018
- New facility scheduled to reopen September 2018
WHAT IS OPEN DURING THE RENOVATION?
Daily operations will remain the same at The Boathouse
- Concessions, rentals, and restrooms will all be available
All outdoor amenities will remain open with temporary closures to occur
- All programming including camps at the Lake will run as scheduled
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION?
- There will be some noise but construction will avoid evening and weekend hours
- The sand area will be transformed into a native plantings area
- Parking may be limited due to construction traffic at times
- There may be times when the entrance from the parking lot may be blocked
Stay updated! Construction updates can be found online at www.ahpd.org.
Mission: The Arlington Heights Park District enriches the community by providing quality recreation, facilities and fun.