This man-made lake (the earth removed was transported to a landfill to form Nickol Knoll Golf Club) was created to ease flooding problems. The 1.8 mile walking path is used year-round. The 50-acre detention lake allows boating but no swimming. Check out the Lake Arlington Programs.
- Boat rentals (sailboats, paddle-boats)
- Two mile bike/walk path
- Sailing lessons (youth, adult, family)
- Youth sailing camps
- Picnic area
- Washrooms (inside and outside)
- Full menu concession stand
- Inside seating
- Lake view deck
- Fishing (Catch and Release Enforced)
|May 3-4, 10-11, 17-18
||10 am-6 pm
|May 24-September 1
||10 am-7 pm
|September 6-7, 13-14, 20-21, 27-28
||11 am-4 pm
The boat and storage area holds boats up to 14’ long and 4’ wide. Canoes, rowboats, kayaks, crew boats and sailboats can fit into the storage unit. No sail boards, or boats with motors are allowed. Arlington Heights Park District reserves the right to question and/or disallow any boat. Trailer storage is not available. Dollies are provided to assist in moving your boat.
|Summer (May 1-October 31)
|Winter (November 1-April 30)
The Park District rents sailboats and paddle-boats during the summer and fall season.
- Minimum age to rent a boat is 12 years old with a signed waiver.
- A waiver is required of all persons renting a boat.
- Anyone under 16 years of age will be required to have a current waiver on file with the Park District, signed by a parent or guardian.
- All boaters are required to wear a personal flotation device (P.F.D.) while on the water. Lake Arlington will provide P.F.D.’s for all renters.
- Children under 12 years of age who have been in a sail camp during the summer and have instructor approval will be allowed to rent a sailboat with a parent or guardian on site.
- You MUST have participated in a Lake Arlington Sail camp or lesson and have instructor approval to rent a sailboat; or
- You MUST demonstrate through a verbal test that you have sailing experience and can sail a dinghy.
|$12 (1 hour)
||Single $10 (1 hour)
||Tandem $14 (1 hour)
||$30 (1 hour)
||$15 (each additional hour)
||5, 1 hour rentals-$120
Boaters are allowed to launch their own craft at Lake Arlington. Currently there are no restrictions on size. However, there are no ramps. All boats will have to be carried down to the boat launch area. No sailboards, or motors will be allowed. Sailboats, rowboats, kayaks and canoes are welcome. Call 847-577-3059 for sticker information. Daily fee: $7 weekdays & weekends
2014 Season Sticker: $50/$70 NR
Persons with multiple boats must sticker each boat. Ask about discounts.
All boaters, whether they rent from the Park District or bring in their own boat, are required to wear a personal flotation device while on the water. P.F.D’s. are provided for all renters.
We offer an exciting Adventure Camp for nine to fourteen year olds and Sailing Camps for eight to fourteen year olds. View Lake Arlington camps in our Summer Program Guide.
Sailing and Kayaking Lessons
Learn to sail or kayak. We offer lessons all summer. View more information.
Anyone with several years of sailing knowledge is invited to share their experience with our participants. For an application, call Kevin at 847-577-3059.
Keep Our Fleet Growing
Over the past years, the Lake Arlington sailing program has had a few sailboats donated to the program for use by our participants. We are always looking for usable boats. If you would like to help out the program by donating a usable boat, call the Lake office at 847-577-3059.
Specific rules and regulations regarding the use of Lake Arlington are posted at various locations throughout the lake site. Everyone using the site is expected to know the rules and follow them.
If you have any questions about the site, call 847-577-3059.
Fishing at Lake Arlington is regulated by all Illinois Department of Conservation rules and regulations. Fishing licenses are required for 16-65 year olds. The Park district has stocked the Lake with bass, bluegill, catfish and northern fingerlings.
A catch and release program is in effect for the fishing season. Only carp and gizzard shad can be taken from the Lake.